Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Apr 5th, 2020, 3:02 pm
Hi,

Anyone uses Goodreads or other communities? Any key users to follow who have great book tips? Anyone using any other sites/apps for book recommendations based on your reading history?

Grtz,
Onno
Apr 5th, 2020, 3:02 pm
May 23rd, 2020, 1:35 pm
I use Goodreads. It helps me keep track of all my reading. What I've read to what I want to read and I've only added to my want to read list due to goodreads recommending and also by joining groups.

Not all authors are active, but you can follow authors as well.
May 23rd, 2020, 1:35 pm
May 31st, 2020, 12:01 am
I use Goodreads because I haven't come across a book they didn't have in their database, therefore it is very simple to keep track of what I have read, what I want to read and if I liked it or not. I was one of those people who never wanted to read on a device, paper only, but then I got a Kindle as a present. I got hooked and I read so much, a lot more than I used to. I got rid of my Netflix and Kindle Unlimited instead. And a premium account here on mobilism.

The downside of so many books is that it's easy to lose track and Goodreads helps with that. The reviews of ARC are often biased I think, even though it always said it isn't. So I usually trust the averige rating when there at a lot of reviews or simply take a chance to make up my own mind.
May 31st, 2020, 12:01 am
Jul 7th, 2020, 4:44 am
I'm with the previous poster, don't recall looking for info/reviews of a book that it wasn't there. It is part of my strategy for choosing books to read (since time for reading is a finite resource).
Jul 7th, 2020, 4:44 am
Jul 7th, 2020, 11:23 am
I've used Goodreads for years, its database is much easier to use than others I know of which are mostly attached to stores so are always trying to sell you something.
I use it to keep track of what Ive read, I always try to jot down some notes in the review section, for my own benefit. I read so much, I often forget books a few years down the track and it helps to read my review. Sometimes it helps me on a re-read too, seeing if I still think the same way.
Jul 7th, 2020, 11:23 am
Jul 15th, 2020, 2:29 am
I use Goodreads but they do have an issue with non-American authors participating.

In fact, I follow one author that currently self-publishes and it always seems up to one of his readers to add his latest books. Which, is damn convenient if you think about it.
Jul 15th, 2020, 2:29 am