Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
May 29th, 2017, 8:00 pm
I have a few things I would LOVE to share on here if I could manage to rip them from Scribd but all I have is a free account and I don't like providing my debit card number to anything but Amazon or PayPal/EBay so like it says on the tin, is there a reliable/guaranteed way to rip content from Scribd?
I would GREATLY appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!
May 29th, 2017, 8:00 pm
Jul 14th, 2017, 11:20 am
bump!!!???? anybody have an answer?
Jul 14th, 2017, 11:20 am
Oct 13th, 2017, 11:57 pm
bump again.
Oct 13th, 2017, 11:57 pm
Oct 27th, 2017, 3:57 am
Can't you just upload works and get a few free downloads?
Oct 27th, 2017, 3:57 am
Dec 6th, 2017, 5:11 am
I've tried to subscribe using a credit card but wouldn't let me download anyway.
Dec 6th, 2017, 5:11 am

Bibliotheca Alexandrina - December 2022 Update is out!

a collection of almost 800 GB of history books !

~~~~~

Add an Overdrive/Scribd link to the book in your request, improves the chances to fill it
Aug 14th, 2019, 2:56 am
Okay so I have signed up for the free trial and you can download stuff to the Scribd app on your phone.
They only come through as .json files, though.
Any luck and all good fortune they'll stick around even after the 30 days. People say the "upload/download" swap method still works but I might have to try that again, it didn't SEEM to...
Aug 14th, 2019, 2:56 am
Aug 14th, 2019, 2:12 pm
I have tried those. First of all, does that work with BOOKS or just "documents"? Secondly, if I leave links to the pages for the files I want, could someone rip them for me using one of those methods since it seems to work for them and not me? I will convert them from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!
Aug 14th, 2019, 2:12 pm
Aug 15th, 2019, 8:56 am
Oooooooookay, I am LITERALLY THIS CLOSE--I can save offline .mhtml versions of the ebooks but I can't do anything with them or view "full" versions, they only come up as borders, images, etc. none of the actual "text" (DAMMIT!) I have TRIED converting these with Calibre, reading them through various programs, both online and offline...If there is anyone who might be able to help me with this, that would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Aug 15th, 2019, 8:56 am
Aug 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm
The only option would be to screenshot the pages. Provided, the whole document is viewable. Then I could convert all of those into a streamlined book and use OCR to get the text version of it. I have actually done similar stuff for Google Books for the department I worked in.
Aug 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Aug 18th, 2019, 5:10 pm
Part of the problem with attempting to figure out a workaround for this is that anywhere I've seen the question asked, some good-intentioned person decided to help by suggesting the exact same methods posted everywhere else, without actually knowing why (and on what) those methods work/don't work and how Scribd itself actually works. For example: the link alphamule posted does indeed work on Scribd, for DOCUMENTS only. Which on the Scribd system are NOT handled the same way as BOOKS.

On top of that, the "hack" to get those documents isn't actually a hack at all; it is a built-in service of Scribd that if you want a document without paying then you have to contribute a document that may be of use to others (hypothetically anyway, considering everyone's just uploading random garbage for free documents). Now, when you download a document on Scribd's Android app, it's stored all in one file that is a pdf without the .pdf extension, so adding the .pdf extension makes it a readable pdf that you can transfer and use anywhere else.

However, when you use the app to download a book, instead you end up with a file folder containing nothing but a bunch of .json files that, so far, no one has figured out how to compile into an independently readable format. I am definitely not by any means a digital architect, so I don't know how one would go about doing this. Just taking a guess though, I would imagine it will come down to one or the other of:

1) Someone cracking the Scribd apk to allow for the download of books. Although this may not work at all for actually moving the books elsewhere. I could imagine it tricking Scribd into believing you have a Premium account when you don't and everything that goes with that, including reading and downloading books to the Scribd app for free. However, there still isn't any native way to actually download, keep, and transfer books within Scribd, so there's nothing there for a cracker to crack.

2) Someone with mad programming skills would have to figure out exactly how the Scribd app is taking those json files and translating them into the readable book you see inside the app. It would likely not only have to repeat that process, but also have to figure out how to take whatever "format" you would call that, and then compile it all and spit it all out in a normal ebook format. (For example: like the program Epubor Ultimate, which I use to de-drm Amazon Kindle and Adobe Digital Editions.)

Until someone, far-better at tech than I, decides to figure this out then I guess all of us laypeople are SOL. That doesn't mean I won't continue to vehemently stab around at this system's defenses to see if I can't accidentally brute-force something into working. So, to that end:

@AquilaLorelei, could you post how you went from the json files to mhtml?

@xtptbx, I do this all the time with ABBYY's Finereader from the scanned-image pdfs of books over at OpenLibrary. The difference between them being that OpenLibrary already has all the images in one file and to do this with Scribd you would have to sit and PrintScreen every page of every book just to get started. It would work, for sure. But really kind of unviable if you want to get out more than one book a week.

So, maybe at minimum, we could try for getting the attention of someone with programming knowledge to write a program/script to make a "PrtSc, save to location, turn page" loop to cut out the worst part of that process? I don't know enough about this forum beyond ebook requests; does anyone else think it would be worth it to make a request for this somewhere and put collective $WRZ towards it? I for one would totally be behind that if it means another source of books.
Aug 18th, 2019, 5:10 pm
Aug 19th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Believe it or not, I just did the simplest, most basic thing you could POSSIBLY think of--I hit right-click "Save-As" on the "Download" button and THAT is how I got the MHTMLs. I can submit one of them here to see what they include. I can also post one of the "premium" reader pages to see if someone else will get the same result. Please be advised this MAY require you to download the FREE Scribe app to your device first!
https://www.scribd.com/read/273746448/D ... -Goddesses
https://www.scribd.com/book/273746448/D ... -Goddesses
The link that says "book" will (or should, cross your fingers!) have a button on the left-hand side underneath the cover image that says "Download to app," or if you're already a premium user and doing this FROM the app, simply "Download" (green in this case). Performing this action from your browser will produce an offline copy of the ENTIRE webpage, i. e. Book, which you then (attempt to!) Save as the mhtml in question, which is how I have been trying to hammer away at the problem. The files will view offline just fine. ONCE. THAT is wherein lies the problem. EDIT: Hang on, the download option may require exclusive use of the app FIRST, let me check...the browser will send you back automatically to the last page you've read in the app.
Aug 19th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Sep 20th, 2019, 12:52 am
Has anyone tried this yet or should I upload one of the mhtmls?
Sep 20th, 2019, 12:52 am