May 11th, 2020, 7:04 pm
The Physician by Noah Gordon. Fantastic book!
May 11th, 2020, 7:04 pm
May 31st, 2020, 12:34 am
Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye. Takes place in British-India from ca 1820 to 1857, the uproar of Indians against the British. A wonderful lovestory and a serious history lesson.
May 31st, 2020, 12:34 am
Jun 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm
If you loved All the Light we Cannot See, I think you will LOVE Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan. My favorite recent HF book. I recommend it to everyone looking for a great read.

Also, similar vein as ATLWCS, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.
Jun 4th, 2020, 5:02 pm
Jun 10th, 2020, 11:54 am
Eagle series by Simon Scarrow. Follows two centurions throughout the frontiers of the Roman empire.
Jun 10th, 2020, 11:54 am

A dyslexic, blur and sad individual who forgets to read the rules before posting
Jun 30th, 2020, 5:56 am
Okay ... most of the stuff that Cecelia Holland has written, but especially:
Rakossy, a Hungarian nobleman's stand against the invading Turks
Until the Sun Falls, a Mongol vassal lord's adventures during Batu Kan's invasion of Russia
The Earl (aka A Hammer for Princes), a Norman nobleman's political/military twists and turns during the Great Anarchy
The Lords of Vaumartin, the story of a French nobleman and a peasant trading places accidentally during adolescence

and, by Dorothy Dunnett,
King Hereafter, in which MacBeth turns out to have been Jarl Thorfinn the Great of Orkney; a fascinating and twisted tale.
Jun 30th, 2020, 5:56 am
Jul 7th, 2020, 9:49 am
I enjoy the "Count Saint Germaine" novels of Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. Also "The Rule of Four" by Ian Caldwell.
Jul 7th, 2020, 9:49 am
Jul 15th, 2020, 2:22 pm
A lot of my favorites already mentioned but for recent reads Alan Smale's Clash of Eagle series was pretty enjoyable.
Jul 15th, 2020, 2:22 pm
Jul 17th, 2020, 8:46 am
I used to ONLY read historical fiction or books about women in far off places/different cultures etc. Then I got into scifi books - which I LOVE, but my heart will always belong to historical fiction.
The best HF book (and THE BEST book) I've ever read is "The Book of Negr*es" (Not sure if post will be flagged with that word) by Canadian author Lawrence Hill.
It's under a different name: "Somene Knows My Name" down in the States because the title can be offensive.
I cried, I rejoiced, I was deeply, deeply affected by this book, and it has stayed with me since I read it more than 10 years ago. I was so affected by one part of the book that I burst out crying on a public bus. It was turned into a tv mini-series here in Canada, not sure if it's available in other countries, but you could always look for it.
That is my all time favourite book.

I also love, and feel the same about Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. That book, and movie, will stay with me for my whole life. The movie was so visually amazing that it complimented the book so perfectly. Everything you saw in your mind while reading the book came to life with the movie (although the movie is slightly different at the end).

A couple other amazing HF books I've read:
The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Year of Wonder by Geraldine Brooks
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley (another Canadian!)
The Mistress of Nothing by Kate Pullinger
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery
War of The Worlds HG Wells ( SO good for being written that long ago, I had no clue it was written in the 1800s before I got into reading it.)
And I have scores of HF on my shelves that I haven't got to yet! I wish I could attatch a picture of my library shelves haha! :D

When I was young I read a lot of Scott O'Dell books, like My Name Is Not Angelica, Island of the Blue Dolphin, and Zia, which is what almost definitely set me up for reading HF all through my life. They were SO GOOD. Probably worth a read now as an adult. I still have them from my childhood, a little torn and dog eared, on my "most cherished books" bookshelf.
Another book I read when I was young that I cherish is The Root Cellar by Janet Lunn. Those visuals and characters still stay in my mind to this day, even though it's considered a children's book (but more like what we would now consider Young Adult reading).

I read a children's book (more like YA now) a few years ago that I picked up from a Goodwill store called Angeline by Karleen Bradford, about a white female crusader that gets captured and sold as a slave in the middle east, and that was an amazing story! Even though it might be considered YA or childrens, it was so different and took me to a different world. I read a lot of those kinds of books. HF truly is an escape from everyday life, as well as stuff like A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini or The Vine of Desire by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni - not sure what to classify those kinds of books under, because they're about the present-ish time, but take place in other cultures and places, usually about women.
I love escaping when I read. Thank you for all the other suggestions here on this post! I will be looking for some of these books!
Sorry for such a long post, but I'm passionate about these books! :)

*Edited a few times for typos and to add books
Jul 17th, 2020, 8:46 am
Oct 18th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Outlander series by Diana gabaldon the tv show is pretty good too
Oct 18th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Nov 19th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Yes, totally agree on this on this one!!
Nov 19th, 2020, 3:08 pm
Jan 24th, 2021, 12:02 am
Anything by Pressfield... Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCoullough
Jan 24th, 2021, 12:02 am
Jan 28th, 2021, 6:15 am
I have a soft spot for Greek history and mythology

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
Troy Trilogy (Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder, Fall of Kings) by David Gemmell
Jan 28th, 2021, 6:15 am
Jun 8th, 2021, 10:01 pm
I'm currently reading Chris Bohjalian's "Hour of the Witch" and it is riveting. I highly recommend s j parris "giordano bruno" series, which are outstanding. Andrew Taylor has many wonderful Historical novels, and my favorite HF books by this author are the "Marwood Series". Anyone who loves books, should read Umberto Eco's "The Name Of The Rose". There are just too many to mention. We certainly have a treasure trove of great HF writers and their wonderful books to last several lifetimes to read. Happy Reading. Cheers!
Jun 8th, 2021, 10:01 pm
Jun 10th, 2021, 4:06 am
I have really enjoyed Steve Berry's books. I like that he follows a convention of his last section reviewing the history upon which the novel hinged. He goes through the actual history and clarifies where any liberties were taken. If a reader enjoys historical based novels, that reader should enjoy Mr. Berry's style and flare.

Novels in the Cotton Malone series: The Templar Legacy (2006), The Alexandria Link (2007), The Venetian Betrayal (2007), The Charlemagne Pursuit (2008), The Paris Vendetta (2009), The Emperor’s Tomb (2010), The Jefferson Key (2011), The King’s Deception (2013), The Lincoln Myth (2014), The Patriot Threat (2015), The 14th Colony (2016), The Lost Order (2017), The Bishop’s Pawn (2018), and The Malta Exchange (2019). They are stand alone but there is some continuity as a series.
Jun 10th, 2021, 4:06 am