Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules. Post count not affected.
Sep 22nd, 2020, 4:49 pm
Who is your favorite author of all time?

For me, Tom Clancy, WEB Griffin, Clive Cussler and David Morrell are all fighting it out for the top spot; it depends on my mood. Somedays I prefer one over the other. I am sure that many are the same.
Sep 22nd, 2020, 4:49 pm
Sep 22nd, 2020, 8:07 pm
You know what, I come to the conclusion that it's really impossible to name a single winner...

To clarify: when I was younger, I loved SF, so Asimov, Heinlein, or maybe E.E. "Doc" Smith...

then I read "Nine Princes in Amber" and Zelazny become my favorite (well maybe he still is... even I stopped reading his books when he died.. out of respect maybe.. dunno for sure)

after a while I discovered Fantasy... and there were many authors battling for my first place...

Meanwhile somebody gave me "The Hunt for Red October" and I was smitten by Clancy...

A couple of years later I casually got "Rise the Titanic" by Cussler and I started buying his books..

Then I discovered Pratchett...

and the story goes on and on :-)

All the while I was enjoying a great deal of military history, so Max Hasting, Richard Holmes, Bernard Edwards etc etc

30 years later I realized that every season of your life has a favorite author... and thanks the Gods of Electronics for ebooks... there's really a limit on the number of "real" books one can acquire and store no matter how big his place is ;-)
Sep 22nd, 2020, 8:07 pm
Sep 29th, 2020, 5:51 pm
many fav books
Sep 29th, 2020, 5:51 pm
Oct 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm
For Me It's John Grisham, Stephen King And Danielle Steel (Yes I'm a Bloke That Reads Danielle Steel) James Patterson (If It's The Alex Cross Books)
Oct 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Oct 6th, 2020, 3:49 am
Bingbong wrote:You know what, I come to the conclusion that it's really impossible to name a single winner...

To clarify: when I was younger, I loved SF, so Asimov, Heinlein, or maybe E.E. "Doc" Smith...

then I read "Nine Princes in Amber" and Zelazny become my favorite (well maybe he still is... even I stopped reading his books when he died.. out of respect maybe.. dunno for sure)

after a while I discovered Fantasy... and there were many authors battling for my first place...

Meanwhile somebody gave me "The Hunt for Red October" and I was smitten by Clancy...

A couple of years later I casually got "Rise the Titanic" by Cussler and I started buying his books..

Then I discovered Pratchett...

and the story goes on and on :-)

All the while I was enjoying a great deal of military history, so Max Hasting, Richard Holmes, Bernard Edwards etc etc

30 years later I realized that every season of your life has a favorite author... and thanks the Gods of Electronics for ebooks... there's really a limit on the number of "real" books one can acquire and store no matter how big his place is ;-)

I agree with you about the different periods in life. And I loved all the authors you listed up to and including Clancy. I would also add David Brin and Jim Butcher.
Oct 6th, 2020, 3:49 am
Oct 8th, 2020, 1:41 pm
Terry Pratchett is definitely my favorite. An author who can make me laugh out loud, cry, think hard about life and all it's wonderfully intriguing intricacies all within the same novel. I wrote an essay about this book. With a little help of this writing service https://anonymous-essay.com/write-my-college-essays.html I got the highest score in the class. These guys are real pro in writings.
Oct 8th, 2020, 1:41 pm
Oct 26th, 2020, 7:45 pm
Demonbinder wrote:I agree with you about the different periods in life. And I loved all the authors you listed up to and including Clancy. I would also add David Brin and Jim Butcher.

Butcher, yeap. I like him too... discovered him... ahem ... shame on me ... ahem.. after the TV-Series (which was "so so" at best) and bought the first book of the Dresden Files. Liked it quite a bit and went on with all the others.. but he isn't in my top ten.

Loved "The Lies of Lock Lamora", but Mr. Scott Lynch takes quite a lengthy period of time between books.. had he written quite a few books more, maybe he could have been on my top ten...

Oh well, the list is long.. LOL

Haven't read anything from David Brin, I'm gonna follow your input and rectify this situation asap ;-)
Oct 26th, 2020, 7:45 pm
Nov 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm
I love the books by Chris Carter a lot but then again I also like authors like Robert Bryndza etc ...
I also read a lot of novels and esp feelgoodbooks and in that category I have a few ones I really like
Nov 4th, 2020, 12:25 pm
Nov 7th, 2020, 11:08 am
There are so many but I love Terry Pratchett, Fredrick Backman and Fannie Flagg
Nov 7th, 2020, 11:08 am

Please click thank you when downloading, it costs you nothing :D .
Nov 8th, 2020, 6:26 pm
So many!
Stephen King. Devoured everything he wrote when I was in my teens.
Graham Greene. As above.
Kazuo Ishiguro. Ish is an old friend,since before he had anything published.
CJ Sansom. Historical fiction isn't my thing but the Shardlake series is fabulous.
Ben Aaronovitch,Kim Newman etc etc.
Nov 8th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Nov 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Bill Bryson
James Michener
Harlan Coben
Stephen King
Nov 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Nov 11th, 2020, 1:32 pm
that is so difficult to answer.
David Feintuch and David Weber for Science Fiction
Tolkien for Fantasy
John Maddox Roberts, Lindsey Davis, Paul Doherty and Anne Perry for historical Crime fiction
Carola Dunn, Colin Cotterill, Rita Mae Brown and Deborah Crombie for 20th century Crime fiction
Christian Jaqc and Judith Merkle Riley for historical fiction
C.F. Forester, Alexander Kent and Dudley Pope for naval fiction
and I'm sure I just forgot many more good Authors
Nov 11th, 2020, 1:32 pm