Have fun, win prizes, participate in our contests!
May 5th, 2021, 3:17 pm
Belgian farmer mistakenly moves country's border with France

A Belgian farmer moved a 330-pound stone out of the path of his tractor and unwittingly changed the border between Belgium and France by 7 1/2 feet.

Mayor David Lavaux, of Erquelinnes, said historians walking the area in which stones had been placed to mark the border between Belgium and France under the 1820 Treaty of Kortrijk noticed one of the stones had been moved into Bousignies-sur-Roc, France.

Lavaux said a local farmer apparently moved the 330-pound stone out of the path of his tractor and did not return it to its original location.

"Belgium and our municipality are enlarged; the French don't agree, obviously. Gonna have to put things back in place," Lavaux wrote in a Facebook post.

Lavaux said the farmer will not face any legal consequences if he returns the stone to its original position.

"I was happy, my town was bigger," Lavaux joked to French TV station TF1. "But the mayor of Bousignies-sur-Roc didn't agree."

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/05/04 ... 620152373/
May 5th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Believe me, you are someone's crush. Yes, you are!
May 5th, 2021, 4:56 pm
NASA Perseverance Mars rover spots delightfully goofy rocks (hello, butt rock)

NASA's Perseverance rover is on Mars to do serious science, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with some of the weirder rocks the wheeled explorer has spotted since landing in February.

There's a long history with Mars and pareidolia -- the human tendency to see familiar objects in random shapes. I once spent hours looking for "faces" in images from NASA's Curiosity rover, just for fun. Space fans have imaginatively seen rocks and formations that resemble a bone, a fish, blueberries and even a spoon

With a few flights of fancy and a willingness to be silly, you can find all sorts of entertaining shapes littered across the floor of the Jezero Crater. Here are some of the best so far.

'Brachiosaurus'
Software engineer Kevin Gill, a "data wrangler at NASA-JPL," has a long track record of processing Mars images for the enjoyment of space fans. He spotted an elegant rock snapped by the rover on April 15.

"Awww, it looks like NASA Perseverance found a tiny fossilized brachiosaurus on Mars," Gill tweeted.

The small stone featured a long "neck," a tiny "head" and a big body that made it look like the famously large vegetation-munching dinosaur. To me, this unusual rock resembles No-Face from the Studio Ghibli movie Spirited Away.

'Butt rock'
Space writer Jason Major noticed a rump-shaped rock in the distance in a rover image from February. "Perseverance probably won't bother going to study it but I hope somebody files this one as 'butt rock,'" Major tweeted cheekily.

Perseverance got a clearer look at "butt rock" a month later. And it still looks a bit like a behind.

Much like we've seen all sorts of heart-shaped objects in places out in space, perhaps derriere-shaped stones will become hot targets for Perseverance's cameras.

'Odd' rock
The first widely famous rock from the mission dates to late March when the rover eyed a 6-inch-long pockmarked object that NASA described as "odd." Researchers speculated it might be a meteorite or a weathered chunk of bedrock.

With preceding NASA rovers as a model, we can look forward to more photos of entertaining, intriguing and downright funny Martian rocks as Perseverance makes its way through the crater.

With other rovers having already spotted a spoon, a pancake, fruit and a "jelly doughnut," we could use a few more food items and table settings to make a complete pareidolia meal.

source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... r-BB1gmbNg
May 5th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

May 5th, 2021, 4:57 pm
Boy, 14, puts crayfish up his bum to 'preserve it' and turn it into 'dried lobster'

WARNING, DISTRESSING CONTENT: The teenager in China, named Xiaoying, was night fishing with his grandfather in the coastal city of Taizhou, in Zhejiang province, when he decided to put a crayfish in his bum

A teenager had a crayfish removed from his bum which he claimed he put there to preserve it.

The 14-year-old boy in China, named Xiaoying, said he thought inserting the crustacean into his body would turn it into “dried lobster”.

But he was later taken to hospital, where doctors found its claws had damaged his intestines.

The teen decided to try it while he was night fishing with his grandfather in the coastal city of Taizhou, in Zhejiang province, on April 24.

He later said it was an experiment to see if he could dry out the crayfish.

The next day, at around 6.30am, he was admitted to the Zhejiang Provincial People's Hospital.

He told a medic: “Doctor, help me quickly. The crayfish crawled further up and has penetrated into my stomach.”

The creature had not actually got that far, but it had made some progress and its claws had damaged his intestines before it died.

His family explained to medics he had been fishing when his gran called them indoors for noodles.

She suddenly heard the boy screaming and shouting and asked what happened.

The grandmother asked: “Why did you put the crayfish up your bum?”

Xiaoying replied: “I saw a survival programme on my phone about a foreign man pouring seawater into his anus.

“I followed his example, I wanted to use my anus to absorb water from the crayfish and turn it into dried lobster.”

Hospital staff carried out a CT scan and other checks before wheeling the boy into the operating theatre at around 10am.

Don't worry I'm not posting the distressing photos
May 5th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi
May 5th, 2021, 5:23 pm
'It's like selling magic beans': Toronto kindergarten teacher starts flowering card company

TORONTO -- For Nicole Teschl, it was a seed of an idea planted in March of 2020, just as the pandemic began.

"It started as a bit of a passion project," Teschl told CTV News Toronto. "I've always loved to draw and I am obsessed with wordplay, I love puns and I decided I want to do something with it."

Just over a year later, and it is now a blossoming business. Called Sow Sweet Greetings, it's a Toronto-based greeting card company, with the potential to grow—literally.

According to Teschl "when people get a card, a lot of people are not very sentimental. They'll see it, open it, and say 'oh, I love it'- and then 'what am I supposed to do with it?' You feel kind of guilty throwing out someone's words."

But with the cards she creates, you have an option other than saving or recycling, all thanks to the material that they're printed on.

"It's actually plantable paper, than you can put in soil, water with sunlight, and it grows in to flowers."

The paper comes from a Winnipeg company called Botanical Paperworks. It's made using recycled materials, and is embedded with wildflower seeds. When the recipient of the card has read it, they can tear it into pieces, plant it under a thin layer of soil, water it and watch it grow.

Teschl says, "I'm a very big fan of the zero waste movement. I love the idea of obviously protecting our planet, and doing everything we can as consumers to make smart choices that enable us to make the most out of the resources that we have available."

She's designed cards for almost every occasion, from birthdays, to thank you notes, to Mother's Day. Offering people the chance to send a card and flowers in the same envelope—though the latter won't appear for a few weeks.

"To see it translated from something I like to do, to something people love to see and then love to also just like learn about, I couldn't ask for anything better honestly."

Teschl says she plans to keep coming up with creative card designs, in the hopes her company will continue to bloom, just like the cards themselves.

"It's like selling magic beans, you know what I mean? People are blown away by it!"
May 5th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Buzz is the best doggo ever.
May 5th, 2021, 5:39 pm
Musicians Across India Rely On This Kerala Family’s 200-YO Legacy Of Mridangams

Dr. Kuzhalmannam Ramakrishnan from Kerala’s Palakkad district holds five Guinness World Records for his marathon performances, in which he plays the Mridangam, a Carnatic instrument, for the longest durations in the world. In one of his record holding events held in Coimbatore (2006), the maestro did a solo performance for 301 hours straight.

Among the many people he thanked for helping him reach this stage was a man called P R Kasumani, a native of Peruvemba village. He was the craftsman behind making the two-headed percussion instrument that proved to be Dr Ramakrishnan’s perfect companion for the evening.

“We have been sourcing mridangam from the Kasumani family since my grandfather’s days. Although the village is a culturally rich hub for instruments, our loyalties lie with the dextrous craftsmen,” Dr Ramakrishnan tells The Better India.

Kasumani is a third generation craftsman, taking forward his family’s hard-earned legacy of making and preserving instruments. His skills and focus on precision have made him one of the most sought after artists by maestros of Carnatic music, including Indian film actress and Bharat Natyam dancer Shobana, as well as late Carnatic music artiste Jaya Krishnan. Kasumani’s instruments are also sold in countries such as Canada, Malaysia, United States, Singapore, and Gulf countries.

Like Kasumani, there are several uniquely skilled craftsmen in Peruvemba who manufacture musical instruments like Mridangam, Maddalam, Tabla, Timila, Chenda, Idakka etc. However, over time, some families have moved over to other professions such as making charkhas and sari weaving, due to financial issues. Presently, there are 30 artisans actively engaged in the profession.
Kasumani’s son, Rajesh K, who is the fourth generation entrant in the profession, speaks with The Better India and gives a sneak peek into their well-preserved heritage, which is more than 200 years old. He shares what goes into each instrument piece and how the family has thrived over the years.

A meticulous process
Peruvamba is located only 15 kilometres from the noisy town of Palakkad, and upon entering the small village, you only see a different world. At any point in the day, you can hear someone humming along to classical ragas like Kambhoji, Hanumantodi, and Malahari, on freshly made mridangams.

The cumbersome and labour-intensive process of making every piece, which continues seamlessly and without glitches, takes anywhere between 2-3 months to complete. Generally, the artisans dedicate a part of their house to make the instruments. This is probably the reason why the entire family is involved in the work. Rajesh was around eight when he first tried his hands at making one.

“For a school project, I had made a miniature mridangam, and cut my skin in the process. In fact, in the initial days, I’d cut myself often, till I grasped every step of the process. Every family member excels at certain tasks. For example, my grandmother aces mashiyidal, which is the black circular ring on top of the instrument made from boiled rice and black stone. Her work is especially in demand by customers. Likewise, my father perfects the shape,” says Rajesh.

The main materials to make the instrument are jackfruit and leather. The family sources their jackfruit from Tamil Nadu’s Panruti village and to ensure the sturdiness, the tree has to be at least 30 years old. The middle and lower body of the fruit is cut and kept for drying for nearly two months, and then chiselled to make the body.

“Earlier, we would shape the jackfruit by hand, but now we have a rotating machine that does the work in three hours. The leather is made of three skin layers and pinned on the top and bottom. The strings are fastened tightly on the sides, and while doing this, it is crucial to note if the struti (microtonal units) is in perfect order. It is an excruciating process which requires a lot of arm and leg strength. After this, we make mashiyidal by grinding the black stone or puranakkallu on a mortar and mixing the powder with boiled rice. It is applied to drumheads which create a resonating bass sound,” Kasumani explains.

The family makes two types of mridangams — Ech, which is usually used by female musicians due to its high pitch, and Thag used by men. In Ech, straw is placed in between the leather layers, and for Thag, rust iron is used. The finished product weighs between 9-12 kilos and the price range is between Rs 15,000 and Rs 20,000, depending on the specifications of the customers.

The bespoke percussion instruments are made without any shortcuts and the dedication is reflected in the family’s policy of testing each instrument before selling it. Even though they make an average of 50 mridangams through the year, they don’t hesitate in discarding pieces if they find a defect. Many artisans sell the defective pieces at lower prices but for Kasumani and Rajesh, nothing is more important than quality. This principle is applied when customers come for their instruments to be repaired — they either replace the instrument altogether, or repair it for free.
However, adherence to quality has its drawbacks, especially in a time like COVID-19, when the demand has dropped dramatically. They end up working more and earning less. The family either sells directly to customers who comprise musicians and music institutions or middlemen at fair price. In case of middlemen, Rajesh tells me that often, they increase the price and sell it under their brand name without giving any credit to the makers.

But by now, Rajesh has accepted the bitter truth. “Unlike in the old days, customers have specific demands with regards to design, tone, etc and we provide these, but they don’t want to pay extra for the extra work we do. Due to the pandemic, festival celebrations and social gatherings have reduced, so very few people are ordering from us. It is a difficult time for us.”

Even though Rajesh holds a degree in MA, he has chosen to be a part of Kasumani’s legacy and, despite the pandemic, he aims to continue the craft. While he does not have children, he hopes to pass on the learnings and skills to his nieces and nephews, giving them a choice to join the family tradition when they grow up.

“Mridangam is part of our identities now, I will part with it only when I die,” adds Rajesh.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/253401/k ... dia-gop94/
May 5th, 2021, 5:39 pm
May 5th, 2021, 8:01 pm
The no-fly travel agency that wants to take you the scenic route

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many raised eyebrows.” Cat Jones reflects on her decision to quit a steady job and launch a travel agency in November 2020 – midway through the second UK lockdown – when the height of most people’s travel ambitions was a trip to the park.

It was a curious decision, regardless of Covid. Travel agents were struggling before the pandemic, as Skyscanner and other travel sites democratised holiday bookings. Border closures hammered the final nail in the coffin for stalwarts such as STA Travel.

Undeterred, Jones decided to reboot the concept of a travel agency. The idea was to change how we travel while making the sector more sustainable post-Covid. The result is Byway, which offers tailored and off-the-peg itineraries that are flight free.

“We stand by the principle that travelling through the world is better than flying over it,” says Jones. “There is just such romanticism and joy in journeys that go through.”

As well as reviving a bygone way of seeing the world, Jones hopes to capitalise on the modern movement to reduce flying to save the planet (as exemplified by Sweden’s ‘flight shame’ movement and the politer Flight Free UK campaign). Its launch comes as Europe revives old sleeper trains to provide a more sustainable alternative to flying.

Six months on, does she still think it was a good idea? “Surprisingly, yes,” says Jones, who is hiring due to rising demand. “Bookings have been flying in.”

Most people booking through Byway have a sustainable motivation, said Jones, but some don’t – they just want to go on an overland holiday and for someone to book it for them.

“There are a lot of people who are prepped and primed to do this sort of travel and just needed someone to make it easy for them, which is really what we’re trying to do,” says Jones.

Most of Byway’s itineraries are in the UK. It has a few trips running in Europe this summer which will depend on travel restrictions being lifted. Post-pandemic, there are plans to offer trips further afield.

“We feel like the moment for slow travel is now,” says Jones.
May 5th, 2021, 8:01 pm

May 6th, 2021, 6:55 am
Japanese town spends Covid-19 funds on huge squid statue

The town of Noto sought to boost tourism in the area where squid is a delicacy

A coastal town in Japan is facing criticism after it spent emergency funds intended for coronavirus measures on a giant statue of a squid to promote the local tourism industry.

Noto, located in Ishikawa prefecture on the Japan Sea coast, spent ¥25m (£164,000) on the 13-metre-long marine creature, according to the Chunichi Shimbun.

The local newspaper quoted officials as saying that the flying squid was part of a tourism drive to help the area’s virus-hit economy. The pink-and-white creature features flared tentacles and an opening below its beak where people can pose for photographs.

Japan’s regions have seen tourist numbers plummet since a controversial government-funded travel scheme was suspended at the end of last year over concerns that it was helping spread Covid-19 infections.

Noto, where squid is a delicacy, reportedly received ¥800m in grants from the national government to help see it through the pandemic, according to the Fuji News Network.

While town officials were not required to allocate the relief money directly to coronavirus measures, they have drawn criticism for spending such a large sum on the cephalopod attraction.

A local woman in her 60s told the Chunichi she could see how the statue could boost tourism in the long run, but thought the money would have been better spent on medical workers and nursing care services that are in desperate need of support.

Japan’s tourism industry is unlikely to recover soon. Last month the prime minister, Yoshihide Suga, declared a state of emergency in Tokyo, Osaka and two other virus hotpots in a last-ditch attempt to check a surge in infections.

Japan’s government is considering extending the state of emergency for Tokyo, Osaka, Hyogo and Kyoto prefectures, the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper said on Wednesday.

The measures, which include requests for restaurants and large shops to close, are scheduled to end on 11 May, just over 70 days before the summer Olympics are due to open in Tokyo.

Hirofumi Yoshimura, the governor of Osaka prefecture, where hospital capacity for seriously ill patients exceeds 99%, has indicated he will ask the central government to extend the emergency measures as infections are not decreasing as quickly as hoped.

The country’s vaccine rollout has barely begun, with less than 2% of the population inoculated, while hospitals are struggling to cope with record numbers of patients with severe Covid-19 symptoms.

Japan reported more than 4,100 new cases on Tuesday, bringing its total to more than 614,000, with 10,500 deaths.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... uid-statue
May 6th, 2021, 6:55 am

May 6th, 2021, 10:35 am
Meteor shower in May 2021: When to see the Eta Aquariids
Updated 6:04 PM ET, Tue May 4, 2021 *

The Eta Aquariid meteor shower will peak early in the morning on May 5.

(CNN) -- In the early morning hours on Wednesday, the Eta Aquariids meteor shower will shoot streams of light across the sky.

The shower lasts from April 19 to May 28, but the best time to view it is when it peaks before dawn on May 5, according to EarthSky. There may be a sprinkling of meteors on the morning of May 6 as well.

A bright moon can negatively impact the visibility of the meteors, but fortunately, a waning crescent moon will appear in the sky on both May 5 and May 6. The light from the moon shouldn't drastically affect how well stargazers can see the shower, EarthSky said.

The Eta Aquariids will be visible in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere, but the view will be better in the Southern Hemisphere, according to NASA.

Cloud cover may be an issue for some people in the United States hoping to see the meteor shower.

Around dawn on May 5, most of the US east of the Mississippi River will see significant cloud cover, said CNN meteorologist Taylor Ward. Other than some clouds along the central Rocky Mountains and the Northern Plains, the rest of the country should have fairly clear skies, Ward added.

During peak activity, stargazers can expect to see meteors traveling at an average of 44 miles per hour, NASA said.

Viewers should see a number of light trails, but few fireballs, according to the American Meteor Society. Fireballs are brighter than the average meteor and tend to last longer.

The meteors originate from Halley's Comet, the famous comet that only appears once every 76 years, according to NASA. The last time it was spotted in our sky was in 1986, and it won't appear again until 2061.
May 6th, 2021, 10:35 am

May 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm

I sometimes get REALLY DEPRESSED reviewing the news these days.
It's always about a global pandemic threatening life as we know it,
protests around the world, stupid politicians, natural disasters,
or some other really bad story.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Welcome to The mobi weekly news magazine
IN OTHER NEWS
THURSDAY MAY 6

What is it?
Here is your chance to become an "ACE REPORTER" for our weekly news magazine.
It is your job to fine weird, funny or "good feel" stories from around the world and share them with our readers in our weekly magazine

How do you play?
Just post a story that you have come across that made you smile, laugh, feel good...
BUT NOTHING DEPRESSING :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EXAMPLE POST
Naked sunbather chases wild boar through park after it steals his laptop bag
A naked sunbather was seen chasing wild boar through a park after it stole his laptop bag.
Amusing photographs from Germany show the man running after the animal to try and claim the plastic bag back.
But the cheeky boar and its two piglets appear to be too quick for the sunbather, who can't keep up with their speedy little trotters.
As the incident unfolds, groups of friends and family sat on the grass watch on and laugh.
Heads are seen turning in surprise and amusement in the hilarious photographs.
The incident happened at Teufelssee Lake - a bathing spot in the Grunwell Forest in Berlin, Germany.

Rules:
Each Edition of IN OTHER NEWS will be open for 7 days...
You may post One Story in any 24 hour period
So in other words, you can enter only once a day
Each news day will start when I post announcing it
OR at:
9:00 AM CHICAGO TIME (UTC -5)
2:00 PM GMT (UTC -0)

on those days I space out and forget to post or can't due to Real Life :lol:
Stories may be accompanied with images - but No big images, please! 800x800 pixels wide maximum
Videos are allowed, but please keep them to under a minute, and post a short summary for those that don't like to click on videos
No Duplicate stories - Where a post has been edited resulting in duplicates, then the last one in time gets disallowed.
And please limit this to reasonably family friendly stories :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reward:
Each news story posted that I feel is acceptable (must be a real story, too few words or simply a headline are not considered acceptable) will earn you 50 WRZ$
If you post multiple stories on any given day, you will only earn 50 WRZ$ for the first story of the Day
All payments will be made at THE END of the weekly news cycle.
Special Bonus - Each week I will award "The Pulitzer Prize" for the best story of the week
The weekly winner of the "The Pulitzer Prize" will receive a 100 WRZ$ bonus
It's just my personal opinion, so my judgement is final

So help bring GOOD news to the members of mobi, and join our reporting team...

IN OTHER NEWS

May 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm

May 6th, 2021, 1:19 pm
Plan For 40m Statue To Be Erected In Cyprus Turns Heads

'The Noble Peasant? More like The Knoble Peasant.' That's essentially what the response has been to plans for a new 40m statue in Cyprus.

The huge statue - which will be taller than Christ the Redeemer in Brazil - will be erected atop a mountain overlooking the town of Kyrenia and the Mediterranean coastline, on the north coast of the island.

However, while the monument is intended to celebrate the 'inner nobility of ordinary folk', it is the outer knobility of this extraordinary folk which has been raising eyebrows.

The apparent monumental erection on this monumental erection is in fact a knee. One massive protruding knee, with a bit of sagging clothing around the kneecap creating a sort of bell-like shape, OK?

The plan looks suitably noble and unambiguous from just about every other angle, but they may want to adjust the dimensions a little bit so it doesn't look quite so eye-catching from one particular viewpoint.

The Noble Peasant was the idea of Erbil Arkin, founder of Arkin University of Creative Arts and Design (ARUCAD), who was inspired to create a symbol for Cypriots after visiting Christ the Redeemer.

The website for The Noble Peasant reads: "In a country that has witnessed divisions and conflict in its past, a unifying factor was that almost all Cypriots were, only a few generations ago, sons and daughters of the soil - farmers, animal husbanders, peasants.

"The Noble Peasant, 40 metres in height and standing sentinel over the coastline, has the potential to bring world renown to North Cyprus as a symbol of pride in the capabilities and resourcefulness of its people.

"As a work of engineering and artistic excellence, it will long outlast our lifetimes and will be a gift to future generations."
May 6th, 2021, 1:19 pm
May 6th, 2021, 1:29 pm
U.S. Forest Service’s controlled burn grows out of control in Iosco County
Several Iosco County families have been evacuated from their homes due to a large active fire.

The Michigan State Police announced at 5:17 p.m. on Friday, April 23, that a controlled woodland burn by the U.S. Forest Service has grown beyond control. The fire site of about 2,000 acres is north of Sand Lake and just south of Cooke Dam Pond and is only 20 to 30% contained, police said.

About 65 area residents have been moved from their homes. Police are asking others in the area to use caution and avoid the affected areas.

An emergency shelter for residents has been set up at the East Tawas Community Center at 760 Newman St.

At 5:49 p.m., police advised they are evacuating the Sid Town subdivision in Oscoda Township, adding that the fire has jumped River Road. Residents are to go east on River Road and not west, police said.

Police could not provide further details.

source https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay- ... ounty.html

Twitter @HgwrtzExprss
Join Mobilism Discord server to get instant updates on contests: https://discord.gg/JqD2wAWSGw

Boy, 4, accidentally buys $2.6K worth of SpongeBob Popsicles on Amazon

That’s one way to freeze a bank account.

A 4-year-old cartoon fanatic from Brooklyn went a little overboard by buying nearly $3,000 worth of nonrefundable SpongeBob SquarePants Popsicles on Amazon.

However, an understanding Samaritan has set up a GoFundMe page Monday to help cover the chilling cost.

According to the crowdfunding page, the “truly adorable” SpongeBob diehard named Noah “managed to purchase $2,618.85 worth” of the pop-pelgangers from Amazon and “had them sent to his Auntie’s house.”

“In case you are wondering, that’s 51 cases, containing 918 popsicles,” Katie Schloss, a New York University student and social work intern, wrote of the tot’s frozen-treat fiasco.

The predicament may seem adorable on its face. However, as Amazon will not refund the Popsicles, Noah’s mom, Jennifer Bryant, was feeling the (freezer) burn and thought she’d have to foot the bill herself.

This presented a major SpongeBob-stacle for the mother of three, who studies social work at NYU, and didn’t know how she was “going to be able to pay this off, in addition to student loans and all of her family’s other expenses,” Schloss wrote.

The Post reached out to Bryant and will update this post if we hear back.

However, it seems that Noah’s Popsicle debt has already been more than paid off. As of Wednesday morning, kind-hearted donors have already contributed a whopping $3,675, eclipsing the fundraising goal of $2,619.

“Thank you so much for your mind-blowing generosity,” wrote Noah’s grateful mother on the page. She added that the surplus donations will go toward education and additional supports for her son, who reportedly suffers from autism.

This isn’t the first time an opportunistic tyke has gone on a surreptitious spending spree. A Connecticut woman was apoplectic after her 6-year-old amassed over $16,000 in credit card charges for the video game “Sonic Forces.”

May 6th, 2021, 1:41 pm
Malian woman gives birth to nine babies ‘all doing well’

A 25-year-old woman from Mali has given birth to nine babies, two of them a surprise after doctors failed to spot them in scans.

Halima Cisse’s delivery by caesarean section of five girls and four boys “who are all doing well” is thought to have set a world record for the most children in a single birth to survive.

Her pregnancy and the expectation that she would deliver septuplets had fascinated the country and in March its leader, Bah Ndaw, insisted she be flown to Morocco with her doctor for specialist care during the last weeks of her pregnancy. Nonuplets are extremely rare and multiple births typically come with complications and high risks for mothers and newborns.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mali ... -f22l6hrj6
May 6th, 2021, 1:41 pm
May 6th, 2021, 1:51 pm
London Mayoral Candidate Niko Omilana Pledges To Reduce Freddo Price Back To 5p

The candidate in question is YouTuber Niko Omilana, and he's running against such luminaries of the political world as current London mayor Sadiq Khan and Count Binface.

In fact, last night Omilana took place in a 'speed debate' between Niko and Khan hosted by LADbible last night.

The speed debating test pitted Khan against Omilana in order to gauge their quick-witted responses to the big questions that Londoners need answered.

As well as some serious questions, we also found out about whether the candidates like pineapple on pizza, and whether they'd rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck.

But enough of that - because pineapple does belong on pizza, and 100 duck sized horses can be dealt with a can-do attitude and a pair of Doc Martens - let's get down to policies.

Amongst Omilana's policies are a few silly things such as banning three-quarter trousers and turning power off once each year in an event called 'Londoff' and there are some ones that actually make sense.

'Boris Johnson will be forced to shush' is an interesting one, for sure.

Then you've got 'the EDL will be deported to Poland and taken off our streets so they can learn what it is like to be an immigrant'.

Not sure how the good folks in Poland would take to it though.

However, last on the list is 'Price of the Freddo to go back down to 5p'.

Truly, that is a policy we can all get behind. Sensible policies for a happier London.

Currently, the price of a Freddo at the supermarket is about 25p, which is a disgrace. As we all know, they used to be so much cheaper.

However, he'll have to pull some serious strings at Cadbury if he's to get them to budge on their valuation of the Freddo bar.

Perhaps some sort of taxpayer funded scheme?

Either way, despite saying 'vote Niko Omilana for Mayor of London on May 6 or your breath stinks', he's currently polling at just five percent, which is better than Lawrence Fox, but not good enough to topple overwhelming favourite Khan.

Speaking to Buzzfeed News, Omilana assured voters that this isn't just a big joke - despite the fact that it is - adding: "I'm taking it extremely seriously. I don't know how I can convey it to the voters any more than [I am] right now."

On a serious note, he added: "I feel like young people aren't represented in politics, hence why I've decided to step forward and put myself in the limelight.

"I didn't want to do this, but I felt like I had no choice. There's that Thanos moment of 'fine, I'll do it myself'."

London, as well as the rest of the UK except Northern Ireland, goes to the polls tomorrow on May 6.

Make sure you chuck in a vote to make your voice heard, whether Freddos are your main political issue or not.

yay Freddos back to 5p - I'd vote for him
May 6th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Twitter: Fatima99@fatima99_mobi